To expedite the delivery of spatial data, information and knowledge for the economic, social and environmental benefit of Australia.
RoleTo administer the Australian Government Policy on Spatial Data Access and Pricing ('Policy'), which is designed to :
- maximise the Australian Government's benefits from the application of spatial data,
- facilitate community access to public sector spatial data, and
- support the growth of a private sector spatial information industry.
- Encourage Australian Government agencies to make their spatial data available under the terms of the Policy.
- Ensure all scheduled datasets have an identified custodian.
- Assist custodians to maintain and provide access to datasets in a manner that delivers optimal benefit to users.
- Expedite a whole-of-government approach to meeting Australian Government agencies' needs for spatial data and tools.
- Support a whole-of-Australian-Government input to national spatial data coordination mechanisms.
- Promote development of the spatial information industry.
- Provide Secretariat support for the interdepartmental committees that coordinate cross-portfolio implementation of the Policy:
- Spatial Data Policy Executive (SDPE)
- Spatial Data Management Group (SDMG)
- thematic working groups established to address technical issues relating to the Policy.