Government agencies make all fundamental spatial data available under the terms of the Policy on Spatial Data Access and Pricing ('Policy')
- Maintain the Schedule of Data covered by the Australian Government Policy on Spatial Access and Pricing of Fundamental Spatial Data.
- Identify gaps in or opportunities to enhance the Schedule and assist custodian agencies add their data to the Schedule.
- Where the addition of data to the Schedule is delayed or inhibited by resource constraints or cost-recovery policies, work with custodians to find means of lowering barriers to data access.
- Assist Australian Government agencies realise the benefits of investment in spatial data infrastructures.
All datasets listed on the Schedule have an identified custodian
- Annually review scheduled datasets and ensure each has a designated custodian.
- Ensure that custodians are nominated with proposed additions to the Schedule.
Custodians maintain and provide access to datasets in a manner that delivers optimal benefit to the Australian Government and other users
- Adopt, adapt or, where necessary, develop common data policies including, but not restricted to, data management, custodianship, metadata, and data access and licensing.
- Assist custodians to maintain metadata records for scheduled datasets on the Australian Spatial Data Directory.
Australian Government agencies take a whole-of-government approach to meeting their needs for spatial data and tools
- Identify commonly purchased datasets and widely used spatial analysis tools and, where feasible, expedite whole-of-government acquisition arrangements.
Australian Government agencies provide whole-of-government input to national spatial data coordinating mechanisms; in particular ANZLIC - the Spatial Information Council
- Facilitate a coordinated Australian Government input to ANZLIC.
- Support the Australian Government representative in ANZLIC meetings by providing briefings that represent the consolidated views of Australian Government agencies.
The Policy is effective in promoting the development of the Australian spatial information industry
- Support the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources and the spatial information industry implement the Spatial Information Industry Action Agenda.
- Ensure that Industry views are considered in the development of the Schedule and the implementation of the Policy.
- Advise agencies on the industry development implications of their procurement and data production policies and procedures.
- Keep Government informed on the views of industry on the Policy and the spatial data procurement and production policies and procedures of Australian Government agencies.
The interdepartmental committees responsible for the cross-portfolio implementation of the Policy function effectively and efficiently
- Provide secretariat support for the SDPE, SDMG and working groups.
- Ensure adequate representation from Australian Government agencies on committees and working groups.
- Produce the SDPE Annual Report on the implementation of the Policy for the responsible Minister.